Monday, January 5, 2009

Routine

Building routine into your life is a great way to stay on top of the small tasks that we often find to be frustrating obstacles to reaching our "big picture" goals. One of my biggest "big picture" goals is living in a warm & welcoming home environment. One of the biggest detractors to that goal, in my opinion, is a sink full of dirty dishes. To combat this, I've built dish duty into my morning routine. Each morning, right after I start the coffee pot, I empty the dishwasher from the night before. Often, I've left a pan soaking in the sink overnight, so I also quickly wash, dry & put that away as well. I even have time to run up the driveway to grab the newspaper before my coffee pot gurgles to announce it's ready.

Throughout the day, I can simply rinse any used dishes and immediately stash them into the dishwasher instead of letting them pile up in the sink and on the counter. I set the timer on the dishwasher to run in the overnight so it's ready for my dish duty routine in the morning!

Think about your day - what small routines can you build in to keep you on track towards your big picture goals?

No comments: