Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Cookies



Daddy requested chocolate chip cookies the other day, so I set out to find a yummy (and easy) recipe. I decided to try "Chocolate-Chunk & Cherry" cookies from my Williams-Sonoma Baking book. Cookie baking isn't always my forte, but these turned out great and scored lots of rave reviews! I used Ghirardelli chocolate squares chopped into big pieces. I think that made a big difference - so much more chocolaty than plain old morsels. Try some this weekend - I think you'll love them as much as we did!

Chocolate-Chunk & Cherry Cookies, Williams-Sonoma Baking

1 c all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 c plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 c firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
8 oz semisweet chocolate, cut into 1/2 in pieces
6 oz dried sour cherries, dried bing cherries or dried cranberries, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, & salt into a bowl; set aside. Cream butter, brown sugar & vanilla on high speed until fluffy. Beat in the egg. Reduce speed to low, add the flour mixture & stir just until combined. Add chocolate & cherries - mix on low a couple of turns to incorporate.

Drop the batter by slightly rounded tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake until golden brown - about 16 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool. Store in airtight container for 4-5 days - but they won't last that long, I promise!

Makes about 2 dozen.

1 comment:

Sundi said...

Hi Jen! I found your blog through GetRichSlowly. I didn't know until now I could smell it on the internet but the second place I clicked was chocolate. Thought I'd share my fave recipe from Alton Brown for the cookies my family loves. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-chewy-recipe/index.html He has three versions...The Chewy, The Thin, The Puffy. We went straight to Chewy and never left!

Create an amazing day!