Thursday, January 1, 2009

Christmas Traditions

I'm a little out of order on my posts for yesterday & today. So, first off, Happy New Year! Hopefully you're enjoying a nice day off to rest and relax before tackling your new year to do lists.

I wanted to share two of my favorite family gift-giving traditions that were every bit as much fun this year as they've ever been. The first is our annual secret stocking exchange with Matt's family. All of the adults trade names and get to spend $20 to fill a stocking with goodies. This year Chelsey (Matt's sister) drew my name. I got a bounty of goods: paperback book, tons of harry & david treats like moose munch, chocolate covered pretzels, popcorn, etc, travel size bath & body works goodies, post it notes, a magnetic grocery list for my fridge, Wine Spectator magazine, and more! I think she may have gone a wee bit over on the 20 bucks, but who's counting, anyway?? I drew Lynn (Matt's mom). I filled a re-usable grocery bag as my stocking with a paperback book, lip balm, post its, picture brag book, travel size lotions, & some other small goodies. We exchange a couple of other gifts in addition to the stockings, but it's what I look forward to most with the Swendimans!

On the other side of the family, we held our 4th Annual Selby Mall Dash on the day after Christmas. We've usually done it on Christmas eve, but calendars didn't permit it this year. Anyway, all of the adult kids (me, matt, my brother don & his wife, tina) have 60 minutes to spend a crisp $100 bill any way we'd like...but only on things for ourselves! It's so much fun to splurge for an hour on things that we normally won't buy for ourselves totally guilt-free! This year I scored a new pair of slippers, a wallet, a cashmere sweater, a mandolin slicer for my kitchen & noah's ark cookie cutters! All for $107...not bad! Matt got two new games to go with the Wii that Charlie and I got him for Christmas!

So again, I hope you all enjoyed a wonderful holiday season with family & friends. Best wishes in the coming year! Any resolutions or traditions you'd care to share??

No comments: