Friday, May 1, 2009

Easy Crustless Quiche

This is a super easy quiche from The Joy of Cooking that I often throw together on Sunday mornings. I made it for the first time about 5 years ago when I had a house full of guests and only 5 eggs in the fridge! And I like the fact that I don't have to mess with a fussy crust. It's great right out of the oven, but the leftovers might be my favorite part. They make a wonderfully quick, protein-packed breakfast I can eat by hand as I'm dashing around trying to get myself & an 8-month old out the door. Maybe that's just me though....Daddy can't stand the idea of cold quiche. If you're like him, the leftovers heat nicely in the microwave too!

Crustless Quiche

Pre-heat oven to 400. Butter 10" glass or ceramic pie plate.

Custard
Beat together until well combined:
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups light cream (I often use 1/2 milk & 1/2 Half n' Half)
1 T chopped fresh herbs, or 1 t. dried (optional)
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. freshly grated or ground nutmeg
Ground black pepper to taste

Filling
Totally up to you! I often saute spinach & onions or fry up some bacon or ham for the filling. Leftover salad greens are great too. If adding cheese, toss with a tablespoon or so of flour first. This will keep the cheese suspended in the custard during baking instead of it sinking to the bottom of the pie plate.

Stir filling ingredients into custard mixture & poor into prepared pie plate. Bake until set, puffed & golden - about 30 minutes. A knife inserted in the middle should come out clean when done. Let rest for 10 minutes, slice & serve.

No comments: