Thursday, March 26, 2009

Our 3am Pest

Boy, am I behind on postings! I feel like I have so much I want to share as I'm driving around, but when I sit down in front of my computer, nothing seems to flow! So, nothing terribly useful today, but I will share a funny story from this week.

For a few months, I've been vaguely aware of a family of raccoons that is nesting in our back wooded lot. I've seen the hole they crawl down & I've seen them loping along through the driveway sometimes late at night. To the best of my knowledge, they've stayed away from the house, so I've chosen to let sleeping dogs (or raccoons) lie.

One night this week, I was awakened by the sound of a terrible scratching noise coming from our bedroom door off the deck. It was awful! I honestly thought there was a pack of wild animals crawling through our attic. So I went over to the door to see what I could find. One of the raccoons was sitting on the deck railing, scratching & pawing at our door & doorknob! I seriously think the little booger was trying to figure out how to open the darn door! I bent down, looked him straight in the eye and told him to get lost. He kind of stared at me for a second, and sauntered off. I guess I don't have the ability to strike fear in the hearts of raccoons at 3am.

So as I lay awake the rest of the night I added calling pest control to my mental to do list (a real no-no, by the way...you should write everything down!) for the next day.

No comments: