Wednesday, February 11, 2009

More Storm Damage

Whilst lounging in the living room last night, Matt noticed a slight drip...drip...drip onto the coffee table. I had already settled my little head in bed and kind of grumble grumbled to be rousted out to come take a look. After a little investigation, we discovered a 12" hole in our roof! Yesterday's rains had finally dripped through the insulation, floor boards & ceiling. The slight drip...drip....drip was growing by the minute, so we quickly moved the furniture out of the way & put down plastic & a trash can. More (and heavy) rain is in the forecast for today, so we did our best to cover the inside & outside of the hole with garbage bags & duct tape (yay duct tape!) until we can get somebody out to take a look this morning.


You may be wondering why we didn't discover this hole until the rains made it apparent. I have no good answer other than our deck is still out of commission with electrical wires hanging low from the tree damage so we haven't been terribly excited about walking around out there to survey the damage. The roof was covered with 6 inches of snow when our project estimator was out to take a look as well, so he couldn't see anything either.

So we'll be adding roof repair to our insurance claim first thing this morning & hoping for some quick assistance to get things taken care of as soon as possible!

2 comments:

neysaruhl said...

Have I mentioned that even with the damage ... I still want your house? :)

I finally got over to check out your blog ... which I love and I am all up to date now.

We need to get together for a double-date dinner soon!

Unknown said...

I had the same experience with my house after a storm hit our city. In fact, the storm did a lot of damage to my roof, windows, including my majestic garden in my vacation house, Indianapolis. Water damage was obviously apparent throughout the ceiling and wall. The house became totally inhabitable for a while. We badly needed a major house restoration. Indiana residents will certainly need a lot of preparation for the next storm. Thankfully, our house has fully recovered.

Hope your house will be fixed soon!